With the release of OSX Yosemite and iOS 8.1 it is now possible to send and receive SMS via the Messages app in Yosemite and on the iPad.
I had to troubleshoot my setup to get SMS Forwarding to work and here is what I found out:
- Your devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac) need to be signed in with the same iCloud account and on the same wifi network.
- On the iPhone I enabled iMessage via Settings >> Messages.
- Under Send & Receive on the same page I enabled my phone number and at least one email address to work with iMessage.
- I went back and then into Text Message Forwarding. I enabled my Mac and iPad, each device showed me a code I entered on the iPhone.
- I then sent a couple of test messages between the devices. Success!
- The person you are sending a SMS to, does not need to be an iMessage user.
- If you send pictures, they don’t show up on all devices.