As more and more developers get their hands on the new SDK, unannounced features get discovered. I will try to update this post going forward with the latest features found by developers.
I won’t repeat what I’ve already written, so read my post iPhone gets multitasking this summer if you want to know what Steve Jobs unveiled at the event on April 8th 2010. I will just list what other sites already has reported. I assume many (if not all) features listed here are part of Apple’s “100 new features in OS4”. I guess features can both be added and removed before official release. Gizmodo has a gallery of screenshots gathered from around the web.
On June 7 2010, Steve Jobs announced that iPhone OS 4 changes name to iOS4. This happened during his keynote, where also the new iPhone 4 was announced. That same day, the “Golden Master Candidate” was released for developers. iOS4 will be available on June 21 2010.
List of features found by developers (newest on top):
- Support for Bluetooth keyboard with working hotkeys for brightness, volume, play/pause/skip
- New background in the multitasking tray and folders
- New iPod controls (play, next, previous) far left in the multitasking tray
- Rotation lock software button in multitasking tray
- Button to close apps in the multitasking tray now shows on all (previous, you had to do one by one)
- Seems like a new feature called “File Sharing” still is locked down. In this case, File Sharing means that files on the iPhone can be shared between apps.
- Unified notes (notes from Gmail, MobileMe, Exchange etc will be displayed together with local notes in the Notes app)
- Make more than one playlist (On-the-go playlist will be replaced by Add playlist which get synced back to iTunes)
- Tap to focus also for video
- Character count in the SMS app
- Text search in the SMS app
- 5x digital zoom
- Spell check and suggestions (same as iPad)
- Faces, Places and Events gets synced from iPhoto
- File attachments can be opened in 3rd party apps
- Camera white balance
- Passcode can also include letters, not longer limited to 4 digits
- Three presets for resizing when mailing pictures (Small, Medium, Large and Actual)
- Refined contacts page (when adding/editing a contact, there will be less back and forth)
- Album view now shows albumart together with related information
- Automatic calendar for birthdays based on contacts